|Belief Statements||| Print ||
|Academics - Guiding Principles|
Guiding Principals / Belief Statements:
Norwalk Belief Statement
We believe and support the following commitments to students:
1. The educational program and process will help students develop the knowledge and
intellectual skills necessary to be successful after graduation, whether in the workplace ,
or in post-secondary education.
2. Content, instruction and assessments will be stimulating, intellectually challenging and
relevant to the lives of students.
3. The district will foster a climate that supports and believes in the success of all
4. Appropriate interventions and remediation will be available to students who are having
difficulty, for whatever reason, with meeting curriculum standards and benchmarks.
Every reasonable effort will be made to keep students from failing classes or dropping
out of school.5. All students can and will demonstrate proficiency in the District’s Student Learning
Goals and the Iowa Core Curriculum.
6. Norwalk Schools will create and maintain a school system that meets the needs of a
We believe and support the following commitments to each other:
7. Adequate time for collaboration among teachers will be provided to create and
maintain a well articulated k-12 curriculum that meets the needs of all students.
8. Each school will provide time to collaborate with parents on their student’s career and
educational plan, test results, course selection, and academic proficiency.
9. The professional development program of the district is data driven, collaborative, and
needs based. The professional development program reflects Iowa’s Professional
Development Model and current best practice that is research based.
We believe and support the following commitments regarding the conditions for learning:
10. All students will be assured equitable physical facilities and program offerings
regardless of the students’ attendance center.
11. We believe smaller learning communities within a larger setting maximize learning
and enhance efficiency.
12. All students regardless of unique needs will be fully included within the student body
and curriculum whenever possible.